Burn Injury Attorney in Colorado Springs
Legal Representation for Catastrophic Accidents
Colorado has the third-lowest rate of burn-related deaths in the nation, according to statistics provided by the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment. On average, 20 Coloradoans die from burn-related injuries every year, and people over the age of 75 are the most at risk of death.
More than 300 people in this state are hospitalized every year for burn injuries, half of whom have suffered burns from flames and half of whom were burned by scalding, contact with hot surfaces, or caustic chemical substances. Nationwide, children suffer burn injuries at a high rate, with more than 300 being taken to the emergency room for burns on a daily basis. Children aged four years old and younger are the most at risk of being burned.
Burns can be among the most physically excruciating injuries, which can be even more difficult to recover from due to the severe emotional trauma that the victim may suffer due to the incident and any resulting disfigurement. Regardless of the severity of your burn injury, you can contact a Colorado Springs personal injury lawyer at Clawson & Clawson, LLP for professional legal assistance with your catastrophic injury claim.
Give us a call today to discuss your legal options.
What Caused Your Burn Injury?
With more than 100 years of collective experience on our side, the injury attorneys Clawson & Clawson, LLP have seen a number of burn injury victims recover the compensation they deserve. We have also seen these burn victims arise from a variety of accidents, none of which should be overlooked when considering personal injury claim for compensation. Accordingly, we encourage victims of every type of accident to contact our office if they are now suffering from a burn injury of any degree.
Some of the most common causes of burn injuries include:
Determining the Severity of a Burn
The consequences of a burn injury can range from minor yet painful skin damage to major health concerns that could prove fatal if untreated for too long. The severity of your burn injury may be apparent to you but the liable party and their insurance providers may ask to see more proof and explanation. If you want to improve the strength of your claim, and therefore your chances of receiving maximized compensation for your pain and suffering, it can be beneficial if you understand the severity of your own injury in medical terms.
Burn injuries are sorted into severities, which escalate depending on the depth of the burn tissue or how much area it covers on your body. The degrees of burn injuries are as follows:
- First: Sometimes called a minor burn, a first-degree burn will leave the skin reddened for some time and cause irritation that is worsened under bright lights or near heat; ice and water should readily cure a first-degree burn but some debilitation could occur if the burn is located on a hand or foot.
- Second: Your skin will be red or white and dry to the touch after suffering a second-degree burn; there is likely to be scarring in the area, even with adequate treatment, which can lead to permanent disfigurement; strong, frequent bolts of pain from the burned tissue is also common as it heals and regains sensitivity; medical attention is required.
- Third: A third-degree burn can prove to be life-threatening if emergency medical attention is not provided to the victim; skin will often blacken and discolor permanently; nerves and muscles will be damaged by the burn as well, leading to disability or paralysis; surgery, skin grafts, or amputation may be necessary if the damage is widespread.
- Fourth: Severe injury is guaranteed in a fourth-degree burn injury case; tissue as deep as the bone can be completely destroyed; any body part affected is likely to be lost; victim will require immediate and ongoing medical treatment, as well as rehabilitation programs to restore function to extremities.
- Fifth and sixth: Victim will not survive; fifth- and sixth-degree burns cause extensive damage to internal organs, usually immediately; family members may be able to file a wrongful death case.
Whether you are suffering from a first-degree burn or a third-degree burn, if your injury was sustained in an accident that could have been prevented then legal attention should paid. For this reason, burn injury victims who are suffering in any way should not hesitate to contact a member of our team for the assistance that they need.
What Burn Injury Symptoms are Hurting You?
Skin that is severely burned will form scar tissue, and this scar tissue often loses many of the normal characteristics of skin that has not been harmed. Severe scarring can act as an inhibitive factor in the regrowth and healing processes, making injuries of this nature even more dangerous to the individuals who suffer from them.
If you experienced any of the following from your burn injury, then a catastrophic injury lawyer at our firm may be able to help:
- Loss of ability to perspire – If the quality of the body's skin tissue is compromised, an individual may lose his or her ability to perspire. When a person is unable to produce perspiration, the body's natural method of cooling down can no longer function.
- Loss of ability to regrow – If skin is burned to the third degree, then it may lose its ability to regrow. Severely burned areas of the body that cannot regrow skin will need to be surgically replaced with skin from another part of the body or even with skin grown in laboratories.
- Loss of sense of touch – If skin is severely burned or if scar tissue is excessive, a person could lose his or her sense of touch. In such a case, the person will be unable to tell if an object is hot or cold.
- Loss of skin elasticity – Skin elasticity is one of the primary characteristics that can be compromised if a burn injury results in excessive scar tissue.
- Sensitivity to weather – skin that is severely burned can never again be exposed to harsh weather conditions that could cause further harm to the damage that has already been done. Individuals who suffer from severe burn degrees must permanently keep their skin protected from the sun and other adverse weather conditions.
- Risk of infection – Dead skin tissue from a burn injury can act as a breeding ground for bacteria, thus making the burn injury victim much more susceptible to infection. Therefore, the dead skin must be removed and made raw to allow for regrowth or skin grafting.
If you are suffering from any of the maladies listed above, we urge you to speak with an attorney at our firm as soon as possible. For injuries such as those which we have described, as well as several other types of burn injury consequences, we are here to help. Together, we can work toward building a case for you that will best allow you to obtain the compensation that you rightfully deserve.
Seek Compensation for Your Burn Injury
Whether you have personally suffered burns or your child has been injured, the personal injury attorneys at Clawson & Clawson, LLP is ready to help. We represent clients in Colorado Springs, Denver, Pueblo, and Parker, and we are available to meet in a free consultation to review your legal options and help you take the first steps in your case. We can help you pursue legal action over burns suffered in a car accident, due to a defective product or in any other type of scenario in which another person is at fault. Let us fight for your right to fair compensation!
I want to take this time to say thank you for all the work Mike, Tammy, Brenda and all the rest of your office staff. I was ...- Rose and Bryan
I was injured on the job in 2006, and due to improper care from Workers Comp I developed CRPS. I had Mike Clawson for my ...- Donna Baumann
They treated us with respect, kindness, compassion, and had integrity in all they did.- Christy
I recently had the pleasure of working with the law firm of Clawson and Clawson regarding an injury I sustained during a ...- Ann
Matt Clawson was simply outstanding! He was always responsive, seemed to take personal care of my divorce, and was ...- Former Client
I do believe my attorney Matt Clawson, has been given a gift from Lord God to protect women and help them through a divorce process.- Kathryn P.
I liked the fact that after giving me guidance, they encouraged me to attempt to find a way forward by myself to reduce their fees and avoid court costs.- Terry
I am very satisfied with my results. I'd definitely recommend them!- Former Client