Free Consultations719.602.5888 Offices in Colorado Springs, Pueblo, and the Denver Metro Area
Dedicated to Your Best Possible Outcome Contact Our Firm to Move Forward with Your Case

Divorce Modifications in Colorado

Trusted Help from an Experienced Colorado Springs Family Lawyer

At the conclusion of a divorce, the parties are issued a final decree of dissolution which is a set of court orders that define the terms of the divorce. These terms are legally binding and failure to abide by them can result in enforcement actions with tough penalties for noncompliance. Many of the terms of the final decree are, however, anything but final. It is often possible for either party to request a formal modification to certain terms of the divorce, such as child support, spousal support, child custody, and visitation.

In any of these matters, the judge will want to see evidence that there has been a substantial change of circumstances that make it necessary to modify the existing court orders. If your former spouse is opposed to the modification, it is still possible to persuade the family law judge to rule in your favor. Even if the other party agrees to the modification, it will still be necessary to make a formal change to the court order because a verbal agreement will not be legally enforceable.

Contact an experienced divorce lawyer in Colorado Springs to get started on a modification of your divorce.

Colorado Divorce Modification Forms

There are separate forms that must be filed to modify different parts of your divorce agreement, such as forms for relocation, forms for parenting time and forms for spousal maintenance.

Modifications to Child Support and Alimony

Some of the most common types of post-decree modifications involve the orders governing payment of child support and spousal support. These are commonly requested by the party who is responsible for paying, typically when he or she has suffered a job loss or pay cut that makes it impossible to sustain the payment obligation. The support recipient may also request a modification for similar reasons, as well as if the children's financial needs for education, healthcare, or similarly important matters have changed.

Parental Relocation with Children

Another common example of a situation that requires a modification to court orders is when one of the parents has decided to move away to another city or state. When the parents share child custody or if one parent has been awarded rights of visitation, the parent who is planning to move will often have to get a modification to the existing custody arrangement. You will have to provide the other parent with written notice of your intent to relocate, including the proposed location, the reasons for your move, and your proposal for a new plan of custody and visitation.

Under Colorado Revised Statutes §14-10-129 (2012), "Modification of parenting time," the court will review the planned relocation to determine whether it would be in the best interests of the children. Modification may not be necessary for a local move, such as from one side of town to another, but if you are moving to Pueblo, Parker, Denver, or even further away, you will most likely have to address this issue first. The other parent may contest the move on the grounds that it would be contrary to the children's best interests.

A Colorado Springs divorce attorney from Clawson & Clawson, LLP can meet with you for a free consultation to determine whether you need to request a formal modification, after which we can assist you with the entire process of your petition. Contact our firm now to discuss the matter and get started on your case.

  • Best Law Firms - 2021
  • Super Lawyers | 2021
  • Best Lawyers | Lawyer of the Year
  • Best Lawyers in America
  • 2 Years - 10 Best Law Firm for Client Satisfaction
  • 10.0 Avvo Rating - Top Family Attorneys
  • Top 100 - National Trial Lawyers Association
  • Million Dollar Advocates Forum
  • America's Top 100 Attorneys
  • The Gazette - Best of the Springs
  • Better Business Bureau
  • Lead Counsel Rated
  • 2016 - Best of Colorado Springs
  • The National Society of Legal Advocates
  • Martindale-Hubbell | Client Champion | 2020
  • Best Lawyer
  • NAFLA Top Ten Ranking - 2017
  • 10 Best - American Institute of Personal Injury Attorneys

Client Reviews

  • “I am very satisfied with my results. I'd definitely recommend them!”

    Former Client

  • “Based on personal experience, I know he will deliver extremely high return on your investment, and produce the best possible results attainable!”

    Pat E.

  • “It was very easy to talk to all that were involved and it was easy to get questions answered very quickly.”

    Former Client

  • “Michael is an aggressive lawyer who is knowledgeable in all areas of law he practices.”


  • “They know how to apply the law, how to work with the judge, and how to deal with the opposing party, and were always attentive to my concerns and priorities, including concerns of cost. ”

    David S.

Contact Us Today

All Consultations Are Free and Confidential
  • Please enter your name.
  • This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.