Matthew Clawson is a second generation Colorado trial attorney. Matthew brings a great amount of enthusiasm and energy to his law practice, focusing primarily in the area of Family Law and Litigation. Since being in practice, he has tried hundreds of cases before Judges and juries. He has also been very successful in resolving cases outside of Court through alternative dispute resolution processes.
Matthew has represented both husbands and wives of judges, doctors, lawyers, internationally recognized musicians, executives of Fortune 500 companies, business owners, high ranking military officers and those who find themselves in need of legal representation for the first time.
Matthew has well-established professional relationships with experts throughout the community including parental evaluators, licensed therapists, forensic accountants, doctors, and appraisers. Matthew has earned a reputation of successfully empowering his clients through competent legal advice thereby enhancing his efficiency in litigating or negotiating a settlement for his cases. Matthew initiates problem-solving strategies immediately upon taking a case thereby minimizing the time and emotion inherent in a family-orientated legal proceeding.
Matthew believes the key to effective legal representation can be found in maintaining a well-managed and informed organization, utilizing state-of-the-art technology, and fueling the organization with an experienced legal support team. Matthew maintains integrity in his associations through honesty, respect, and a professional demeanor; his confident tenacity during a difficult legal proceeding provides his clients with strength. He applies his philosophies to his practice of law providing for well-grounded decisions and positive outcomes. With exceptional organizational skills and natural leadership qualities, Matthew strives for the highest standard of excellence as a lawyer all the while preserving his legal and moral principles.
Matthew has received the following awards and recognitions:
- Best Lawyers of America, (2020-2021)
- Firm Awarded US News & World Reports, Best Lawyers, (2016-2021)
- Super Lawyers, (2021)
- Martindale-Hubbell Gold Client Champion, (2018-2021)
- Featured in Colorado Springs Style Magazine as Best Lawyer, (2014- 2021)
- The highest rating on attorney rating service, AVVO., 10/10 Rating, (2015-2020)
- Top 10 Nationally Ranked Attorney, National Academy of Family Law Attorneys, (2014-20120)
- Client's Choice Award, AVVO, (2014-2021)
- Lead counsel rated, Lead Counsel Review Board, (2013-2020)
- Lifetime Achievement - Top 100 Lawyer, National Trial Lawyers, (2013-2021)
- National Association of Distinguished Counsel, Nations Top 1%, 2015-2020)
- Clawson & Clawson, Top 10% in USA, Lawyers of Distinction, (2017-2019)
- Matthew Clawson, 10 Best Family Law Attorneys for Client Satisfaction in Colorado, American Institute of Family Law Attorneys, (2014-2017)
- Best Attorney Best of the Springs , Colorado Springs Gazette, (2013, 2017)
- Top 100 Litigation Attorneys, American Society of Legal Advocates, (2016-2019)
- Top 3 Divorce Lawyers in Colorado Springs, ThreeBestRated, (2016-2019)
- Top 3 Divorce Lawyers in Pueblo, ThreeBestRated, (2019-2021)
- Best Attorney in Town, Colorado Springs Independent, 2011-2012
- Lawyer, Matthew C. Clawson, Best Mover & Shaker, runner up, Colorado Springs Gazette, (2012)
- Most Influential Business Leader, Colorado Springs Independent, (2010, 2012)
- Highest award in Scouting, Silver Beaver Award, Boy Scouts of America, (2010)
- Best Lawyer in Family Law, Best of the Springs, Best Lawyer Colorado Springs Gazette, (2010)
- Top 40 Under 40, National Trial Lawyers , (2010)
- Best Attorney, Best Law Firm, Colorado Springs Journal, (2007)
Matthew volunteers with Colorado Supreme Court, Colorado Attorney Mentoring Program (CAMP) to mentor fellow Family Law attorneys. Matthew was appointed by the Office of Attorney Regulation of the Supreme Court to service as inventory counsel. For this service Matthew was recognized by Chief Justice Mullarkey of the Supreme Court of the State of Colorado for his "outstanding contribution and service to the citizens of Colorado, the legal profession and the Colorado Supreme Court."
Educational Background & Past Experience
Matthew graduated from the University of Denver Sturm College Of Law, and then completed his Master's in Business Administration (MBA) at the University of Colorado. Matthew was recognized as the outstanding student of his class.
When he is not spending time with his wife and five children, Matthew spends much of his free time tending to his duties as advisor/advocate and past President of a large non- profit organization which serves over 11,000 young men and young women, and over 4,000 adult volunteers over the years, Matthew is also very involved in the community and the growth of its young men and women. Matthew has been involved with United Way, Boys and Girls Club, the Restorative Justice Program, and has been recognized by the El Paso County Bar Association for his leadership as Chairman of Law Days.
Matthew is honored to practice law beside his brother, Michael Clawson, and his father, Millen Clawson, who joined forces in 2004 to establish the law firm of Clawson & Clawson, LLP. Millen Clawson was a senior partner in one of the oldest and most distinguished Colorado Springs law firms prior to establishing the firm.
Matthew, as a native Coloradoan and an outdoor adventurist, enjoys mountain biking, road biking, water skiing, snow skiing, running, scuba diving, triathlons and duathlons.
- United States Supreme Court
- Colorado Bar
- United States District Court of Colorado
- Colorado Trial Lawyers Association
- El Paso County Bar Association
- Denver Bar Association
- Douglas County Bar Association
- El Paso County Family Bar Association
- National Association for Justice
- National Trial Lawyers Association
- American Society of Legal Advocates