Colorado Springs Car Accident Attorney
120+ Years of Auto Accident & Injury Representation
If you or someone you love has been involved in a car accident, we are
here to help. Clawson & Clawson, LLP is a team of skilled car accident
lawyers that have been serving residents of Colorado Springs,
Pueblo and surrounding cities for years. Our
personal injury attorneys bring more than 120 years of collective experience to the table,
experience we will use to secure maximum financial compensation for you.
We have been honored by many local and national legal organizations due
to our experience and skill.
Recently, our attorneys have earned prestigious honors that include:
- “Best Lawyers in America” from Best Lawyers (2017 lucite/plaque)
– Michael Clawson
- “Top 100 Litigation Lawyer of CO” from American Society of
Legal Advocates (2016) – Matthew Clawson
- “Top 100 Litigation Lawyer of CO” from American Society of
Legal Advocates (2016) – Michael Clawson
- “Colorado Springs CO Top 3 Divorce Lawyers” from 3 Best Rated
(2016) - Matthew Clawson
- “10 Best - Client Satisfaction Award for 2 Years” From American
Institute of Family Law Attorneys (2015/2016) – Matthew Clawson
- “National Ranking - Top 10 Attorney Award” from National Academy
of Family Law Attorneys (2016) – Matthew Clawson
- “National Top 100 Trial Lawyers” (2016) – Matthew Clawson
- “National Top 100 Trial Lawyers” (2016) – Michael Clawson
Why You Need a Car Accident Lawyer
Many people wonder why they need a car accident attorney if they can just
go through their car insurance. While you do not have to retain an attorney
for an auto accident claim, it can be extremely beneficial. Far too many
car accident victims receive settlements that are far lower than what
they deserve. In addition,
car insurance claims can be very complex.
Unfortunately, insurance companies are not on the driver's side and will do whatever it takes to reduce the value of your claim. Our Colorado
Springs car accident attorneys can investigate your case and advocate
on your behalf so that you receive maximum compensation for any
vehicle damage, medical expenses, and even emotional suffering such as PTSD (posttraumatic
After a car accident, here are some important tips to remember when dealing
- Avoid accepting the insurance company's first offer
- Refuse to give a verbal or written admission of guilt
- Seek necessary medical attention immediately
- Follow through with your physician's treatment plan
- Keep adequate records of all accident-related expenses
- Do not sign anything without consulting an attorney
Following these guidelines can potentially help maximize the value of your
claim and help our team of car accident lawyers in Colorado Springs build
a stronger case for you. If you or your
child has been injured in a car accident, we can advise you of your rights and how to obtain a fair settlement.
Understanding the Car Accident Claims Process
Colorado Springs Auto Accident Statistics
The Colorado State Patrol (CSP) records more than 25,000 car accidents
in the state every year. Not all accidents are investigated by the CSP;
most are investigated independently. The statistics compiled from the
30 percent of car accidents the CSP does investigate indicated that the
causes of accidents are:
- Exceeding a safe speed - accounts for over 5,000 accidents annually
Inattentive to driving or "distracted driving"- accounts for over 4,000 accidents annually
- Animal caused- accounts for over 3,000 accidents annually
- Lane violations- accounts for over 2,000 accidents annually
- Following too closely or "tailgating"- accounts for over 2,000
- Driving under the influence of alcohol (DUI)- accounts for over 1,000 accidents
annually and the highest number of traffic fatalities in the state, about
El Paso County has one of the highest car accident rates in the entire
state of Colorado. According to data from the CSP, there are more than
2,000 car accidents in El Paso County annually, coming in only second
to Jefferson County. No matter what the cause or type of accident you
were involved in, we encourage you to seek legal counsel from our law
firm as soon as possible.
Uninsured Motorist / Underinsured Motorist Coverage
Colorado law regarding uninsured and underinsured (UM / UIM) coverage changed
in January 2008. According to the Colorado Revised Statutes § 10-4-609,
all drivers with
UM / UIM policies will notice the following major changes:
- Auto insurance companies can no longer "offset" (reduce) the
amount they give you by deducting the amount of liability insurance the
at-fault driver has.
- Auto insurance companies can no longer include "anti-stacking"
language in their uninsured motorist policies. This means that people
(particularly families) who have multiple auto insurance policies can
add UM / UIM coverage to each individual policy.
A majority of Colorado insured drivers are covered by UM and UIM policies,
which is extremely beneficial considering one out of every seven drivers
on the road does not have auto insurance (national statistic). Uninsured
and underinsured motorist coverage works by making up the difference between
the cost of accident-related expenses and the at-fault driver's insurance coverage.
Say for example you were injured in an auto accident and your medical bills
total $35,000. Since the minimum liability coverage required for bodily
injury in Colorado is $25,000, the accident victim's UIM policy could
make up the difference- $10,000.
At this point you may be wondering if you have UM / UIM coverage. By law,
unless you expressly waived your right to this coverage, your auto insurance
policy will automatically include this. To learn more, speak directly
with a car accident lawyer from our firm.
Contact an Experienced Car Accident Lawyer
If you were injured in an accident because of a negligent or careless driver,
or your accident was caused because of an outside factor such as a
mechanical defect or road defect, contact a personal injury attorney at Clawson & Clawson,
LLP. Our injury lawyers have secured millions of dollars in verdicts and
settlements on behalf of our clients, and we can fight to ensure that
you get what you deserve. Initial
consultations are free! We have locations in Colorado Springs, Pueblo, and Parker.
Call us at 719-634-1848. You can make an appointment today.